Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Journal 8 : Podcasting Nets (1,3,4)

In the internet world that we live in there are so many new technological words that are thrown at an individual that have most of us scratching our heads. Podcasting is one such word, it looks as though its two words stuck together and has little meaning, plus it sounds kind of funny. However Podcasting is basically a combination of some audio and video files that are put together and are available for download via syndication on the we using an RSS feed (really simply syndication).
The definition is a tad confusing as well so to break it down even further I will use a science example. Let say I find a movie about mitosis (how cells divide) on the internet and I want to use the movie in my class I could download the movie (video) and then record my own voice (audio) then combine the two. Now I have an audio/visual movie. I then can use an RSS feed to syndicate my movie to others to watch and to use as needed. Now this can be done in your classroom with any type of visual queues you may want to use (movies, photos, drawings) I just stuck with a simple movie from the internet that would be easily downloaded. The educational value to Podcasting could be matched only by student’s ability to create and express their own ideas on the subject being taught and share with their peers in the classroom
In reading the 2.0 threads there was a lot of great information to be had. One questions that was posed was:
2008 Research Results! Podcast listening is on the rise in all age groups!
Edison Media Research recently reported the results of its study of podcasting trends. See the Blog in the Maze for the details.
Do you see this translating to education as well? Will we see more receptive response for the use of podcasts in teaching?

What I found interesting was that teachers were saying that they have seen a increase in test scores with the use of podcasting and that all levels of education are starting to use podcasting more frequently. So what this thread has reminded me is that Podcasting can be used not only as a visual and listening way of learning but can influence tests scores. SO I need to remember that everyone learns in different ways and we owe it to the students to use all methods we can to get our point across.
In reading another thread the author was talking about how book reviews scripts then recording them and then posting to the class website. I think this would be a great way for students to share information on books, assignments, journal articles, and an array of other materials. If students were assigned the above task in a short time there would be a library of information that students could pull from to help them in their own studies. Plus I think it would be fun to have different voices on a library of resources that students can pull from. I learned from this thread that Podcasting can be used from k-college and that it is not that hard to use this technology. A great website that was in the thread and I recommend for ideas is http://www.runkle.org/Podcasts/index.html


The information came from a professional website for instructors for social interaction and ideas.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Now I know what a podcast is all about. Thanks for the example - it helps those of us who "have never heard of it before" by providing details in terms we understand. Did you mean "matched" in the final sentence? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Podcasting sounds super fun! Sounds like I could do some hilarious narrating, all "Mystery Science Theatre" style. PS-thanks for helping me get motivated on this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podcasting sounds like fun. I think students would love to view a movie/clip with their voice on it. Great for middle school and high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job explaining what podcastng is. I never really understood the term until now. I really like how you broke it down and gave a really good example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job explaining what podcasting is. It sounds like great fun. I think students would really enjoy using podcasting to spice up there assignments and presentations. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never thought podcasting could be used for educational purposes, but now I can see how it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podcasting sounds a lot like screencasting... except instead of creating your own video you use something off the inernet. I really like the idea of podcasting because there are so many great videos I could add audio to.

    ReplyDelete