Monday, February 16, 2009

Journal 2 MS

Reissman, Rose (2009). Museums in the Classroom. Learning and Leading in Technology, 38, Retrieved February 6, 2009, from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/200902/

After reviewing some of the truly interesting and unique museums I realized that this article could be a pathway into making really interesting lesson plans but also a way to engage my students to see for themselves that museums are more than just pictures and boring writings. I can see myself as a science teacher using museums not only as a field trip to shows students how science needs museums but how understanding what a museum function is can truly help a student broaden their minds.

Question #1
How could I make visiting a museum interesting and fun?
As a science teacher I can have the students on a scavenger hunt looking for exhibits that would fit for the subject that I am teaching. Having the students moving through a museum looking for answers would be fun and educational. I would have student provide pictures if possible ( via cell phones or digital cameras) to show that they found the answer to my question. This would not only incorporate the use of learning about museums but also incorporate technologies.

Question #2
How can technologies bring museums to the classroom?
Of course I love the hand on approach but in the reality and budgets that we teachers will face we at times will have to improvise on what we can bring to the students. I would love to always take students on field trips but that will not work most times. Most schools have computers and other technological resources however that we can use to assist us in educating our students. Having students watch movies of a particular museum or topic would be but one way to shows whats out in the world. Another would be using the computers to highlight certain museums and allow the students to see a virtual world of the museum. I guess if we can not go to the museum the next best thing is to use resources to bring the museum to the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment