Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Social Bookmarking MS - NETS I, III, IV

1. I chose the online exhibit “The Influenza Epidemic of 1918” from the National Archive site. I picked this exhibit due to it shows how easily diseases can spread and how at times us scientist can not account for what is transpiring. I believe this shows how viruses and diseases can not only be in certain Eras but can be consistent with new problems. In the 1918s it was Influenza today its HIV. Primary sources are outstanding for students and individuals alike in that it gives a real account of what went on without opinions for one side or the other.

2. The three areas that best fit my teaching criteria are:

A.Gather and organize resource materials related to culturally diverse groups for use by school staff.

B.Network with other schools that are developing and implementing culturally competent systems. Adapt the processes and information that are consistent with your school's needs and interests.

C.Engage school staff in discussions and activities that offer an opportunity to explore attitudes, beliefs, and values related to cultural diversity and cultural competence.

I believe that the above three would best fit my style and what I find most valuable when teaching and trying to understand what others think and strongly believe in. I think we need to venture out into the community to see why are students believe what they do, as well to sit and speak with other faculty to see what they are experiencing so that certain queues and issues can be addressed and learned from so that everyone feels included and beliefs and customs are addressed as much as possible

3. The site I found deals with Bears of North America and some interesting fact about them. I have always been inspired by the different types of bears in the woods so picking this site was a no brainers. I think that this site has reading level for all ages but I would say that 9-12 grade students would find the reading more interesting while the younger students would enjoy the pictures.

4. The area that I found the most interesting and where I think I would use the most is the Science and Technology tab. In this tab there is so many things that a new teach let alone and tenured teacher could use. The site has experiments, lesson ideas and plans, and many different types of science subjects to choose. This is one site I shall look at consistently.

5. I knew that most people learn in different ways, either by sight, sound, hands on, repetition, small group interactions etc…. What I did not know is how in depth and how many different ways there is to looking at how people do learn and how it is imperative that I can understand as many as I can so when I am in the classroom I can teach to the strengths of my students.

6. The link I chose was one that would bring Math into my science classroom. Where students could use real world / everyday issues that affect them and see how math and science work hand in hand with graphs and equations. One great example that the article gave was how the rainforest is disappearing using what is seen to how a graph looks at the same data.

7. The two questions that I found most interesting are:

According to a study by the American Association of Physicians for Human Rights, what percentage of physicians report witnessing a colleague giving reduced care or refusing care to lesbian, gay, or bisexual patients?

The reason I find this so interesting is so many preach about equality and yet even the most educated and people we have to trust the most with respect to our health can not stay unbiased.

Based on a 2007 report from the Economic Policy Institute, the annual earnings of the average full-time U.S. worker is roughly equal to:

This question did not surprise me to much base on today economy it just stands to reason that the CEO’s make way too much money compared to that of an average worker. I find it sad that some CEO makes so much more money than people that are in the trenches making a difference an example, teachers.

8. My netiquette score was 90%. Like any social interaction there are rules to follow so not to annoy, upset, or be misinterpreted. Teaching our students the basic rules will allow them not to fall through pitfalls that could end up being detrimental in the long run.



I became familiar with social bookmarking and began using the delicious website and bookmarking to join a community in which I could use other bookmarks to obtain pertinent information.

No comments:

Post a Comment